loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Louisville?

Professionals must obtain state and city-issued licenses to be deemed qualified for a job in the City of Louisville. The Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings, and Constructions issues licenses to eligible building professionals in Louisville like electricians, plumbers, and HVAC contractors. Professional contractors operating within the city must also obtain a license from the Louisville Division of Construction Review before working on any project. You should always verify that all the relevant agencies have duly licensed your intended professional before retaining their services. The Department of Housing, Buildings, and Construction maintains an online license search tool you can utilize to find out if the professional has been duly licensed. You can also verify the licensing status of professionals at the city's Division of Construction Review by contacting the office at (502) 574-3321.

In addition to verifying the licensing status of professionals in the city, you may need to obtain relevant city-issued permits before work can begin on your projects. If you intend to hire contractors, electrical, HVAC professionals, or other building-related professionals, you will typically be required to obtain construction permits from the Louisville Permits, Applications & Licenses Office. You can contact this office at (502) 574-3321 to further inquire about your intended project's permitting requirements.

Do Louisville Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The City of Louisville is divided into 26 metro council districts, and each district is made up of several neighborhoods. You can find out what district your neighborhood belongs to and the contact information of the district elected representative via the city's district map. The various neighborhood residents in Louisville and their functional neighborhood associations do not have the authority to issue permits. However, these neighborhoods interface with their district representatives on developmental projects that can improve life quality within the community. In 2021, the reset Louisville project kicked off in the Russell neighborhood to mark the city's official start of its affordable housing project, with plans to build up to 22 brand new homes for first-time homeowners and to encourage land ownership by residents within the neighborhood. Similarly, in 2020, the Upper Highlands Neighborhood Association had a community meeting with the Metro Council and the Louisville Metro Police Department to express their concerns about the proposed dozen new homes off Newburg Road where there have been increased crashes and distracted drivers wreaking havoc.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Louisville?

Residents of Louisville with unfair business and deceptive professional practices complaints can file these complaints with the Consumer Protection Division of the Kentucky Attorney General's Office by completing its online Consumer Complaint and Mediation Request Form. Alternatively, you can download a General Consumer Complaint and Mediation Request Form, or you can request that one be sent to you by calling the Consumer Protection Division at (502) 696-5389. The completed form can be sent to the address indicated in the top right corner of the complaint form. Once the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General's Office receives your complaint, it is reviewed to determine if it would be sent for mediation or referred to another agency with the capacity to handle the matter.

Note that the Kentucky Attorney General's Office cannot give you legal advice and cannot guarantee the subject of your complaint will make restitution to you if you have such a claim. If you wish to obtain a refund from the professional or business, you can file a civil lawsuit at the District Civil Division of the Jefferson Circuit Court, which has jurisdiction over claims of $5000. However, if your claim is not more than $2500, you can file an action at the Small Claims Division of the Jefferson Circuit Court. You can utilize the information provided in the Kentucky Small Claims Handbook for guidance on how to properly file this claim.

Professions in Louisville