loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Lexington?

Professionals in Lexington are licensed at both the state and city levels. At the state level, the Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings, and Constructions issues licenses to building professionals in Lexington like electricians, plumbers, and HVAC contractors. At the city level, the licensing of professionals like general contractors is handled by the Lexington Fayette Urban County Government. It is essential that you only hire licensed professionals in Lexington. You can utilize the license search tool maintained by the Department of Housing, Buildings, and Construction to verify the validity of professionals licenses in Lexington. To verify professional licenses issued by Lexington Fayette Urban County Government, you can contact the licensing office at (859)258-3247, or visit the office in person at:

  • 101 East Vine Street
  • 2nd Floor
  • Lexington, KY 40507

Note that some types of projects may require you to obtain a city-issued permit before legally commencing work. The city's Department of Licensing, Permits, and Development issues all permits relating to construction activity and building-related projects, and you can get all necessary information on the permits you may need for your project by contacting this department at (859) 258-3770 or via email.

Do Lexington Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Lexington neighborhood associations do not issue permits to residents or any other individuals in the city. Lexington has over 250 neighborhood associations created by the residents to petition, advise, and address targeted concerns and issues. You can find out what neighborhood association your neighborhood belongs to by using the city's MapIt! tool. These neighborhood associations liaise with the city government on activities that can improve the quality of life within their respective neighborhood. In conjunction with various private and public agencies, the neighborhood associations also create an avenue for award of grants and loans that can help with neighborhood development. For example, the Water Quality Management Fee granted funds worth $400,000 to eleven Lexington neighborhood associations to implement the stormwater projects. Similarly, the Gardenside Neighborhood Association is considering using its underutilized 50 acres of parks for projects beneficial to the neighborhood after receiving advice on the matter from interested parties.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Lexington?

You can make complaints about businesses in Lexington to the Consumer Protection Division of the Kentucky Attorney General's Office by completing an online Consumer Complaint and Mediation Request Form. Alternatively, you can download a General Consumer Complaint and Mediation Request Form, or call the Consumer Protection Division at (502) 696-5389 to request this complaint form. The completed form can be sent to the address indicated in the top right corner of the complaint form. When the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General's Office receives your complaint, it reviews it to determine if it warrants mediation or if it should be referred to another agency that is better equipped to handle your particular unfair business complaint.

Note that the Kentucky Attorney General's Office does not give legal advice, and you may have to hire a private attorney if you need legal advice concerning your matter. Also, where your complaint involves a financial dispute with the business, you may need to file a civil action at the Fayette District Court, which has jurisdiction over all Lexington civil matters involving $5000 or less. Note that if your claim involves the recovery of $2500 or less, you can file a small claims action at the Small Claims Civil Division of the Fayette District Court. Small claims actions do not require you to be represented by an attorney and you can use the Kentucky Small Claims Handbook to access information that can guide you through the small claims process.

Professions in Lexington